Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Christmas Decor CEO







I suppose every family needs to have one, or nothing would get done. Ours is a spitfire of a little girl named Alayna. She has a natural ability to spearhead projects and "motivate" you to do whatever it is you said you'd do. If I believed in reincarnation, I would believe Alayna to be the lady in the Bible that kept pestering that judge with her request until he finally relented. Her current best subjects in school are persistance and determination!

All these characteristics came together in one big explosion Sunday, the day I said we would get out the Christmas decorations. Now don't get me wrong, this is something I want done each year, unlike Rob who offered me a large some of money for shopping if I would forego it (of course I didn't accept). However, I have to admit I dread trying to untangle and find replacement bulbs for burned out lights, sorting through all that stuff and finding new places for it in a new house. It's just a bit overwhelming. Not for Alayna. As soon as we got home from church she started in on me. "After we all take a nap" was my response. After about an hour of Rob and I napping in peace a little voice in our dreams said, "Mommy, Daddy, I'm so excited, what should I wear?" Huh, what? Oh, it's Alayna and apparently our naps are over. "What should I wear to decorate the tree?" Rob mumbled something to the effect of she could wear whatever she wanted.

About five minutes later she was back in our room. Somehow she had opted for the summer nightgown in a delicate floral print look for the event. "When are we starting? When are we starting?" I was awake by now, but by no means ready to start hauling bins out of our attic. I told her we needed to wait until Avery woke up so that he could be in on it too. I thought I was buying myself more time, but before I could add in, "and don't you wake him up" she had opened his door and now no one was napping.

No sooner were all the decorations down from the attic and staged in the living room, then Alayna was throwing bin lids open and pulling things out. I managed to direct her to the tree for starters and she flew to work not only sorting tree branches by the little colored tags, but actually began delegating work for the rest of us. Still half a sleep and less than motivated, I let her take over and began to realize that hey, in a couple of years she can do the whole thing!
Alton and I let her direct us and we had the tree up in no time. Meanwhile, Avery who knew something exciting was happening, but probably wasn't quite sure what, ran all over the house laughing and wearing a Santa Hat. The Christmas music was blaring and Rob was diligently writing the bulk of his paper.
My Christmas decorations were put up in record time this year, thanks to the determination and incessant hounding of my sweet little girl Alayna. This is not the end, but merely the beginning however as she is already on me to conduct our family traditions of setting up the gumdrop tree and building the gingerbread house. I am tired.











No comments: