Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Tooth Drama Continues and other Amusing Ditties

No, the tooth is not out yet, but I have to give Alayna credit for her cleverness. What she craves the most is the actual visit from the Tooth Fairy. Having watched plenty of videos with fairies and stories with fairies, to have an actual fairy visit her room will top a visit with a Disney Princess. The tooth isn't going anywhere for awhile, so Alayna crafted another way to lure the Tooth Fairy to her room. She created a fake tooth from paper and intends to place it under her pillow. The Tooth Fairy will visit tonight, but when she/he realizes there is a fake tooth under the pillow, he/she will reward Alayna with a fake dollar in the form of Monopoly money. The Tooth Fairy happens to be male in our household. He divulged his plan to me and seemed very pleased with himself as he ran off giggling like an ornery boy. I found it funny myself, but did my best to temper my reaction when he was around so as not to encourage his orneriness further. It would not be long before I was his next target with him being out of school for 19 days and finally having some free time on his hands.

There are more amusing stories to relate about Alayna. I realize that she is more often the topic of my blogs than the boys, but let's face it, she provides way more material than they do. I had an interesting conversation with her today. She asked why she only had two presents under the tree. I told her because I was not done wrapping and shopping yet. She then asked if she was only going to receive 6 presents and explained that this would not be a satisfactory Christmas if that were all she was to receive. I then reminded her of the children that we did shoeboxes for. We participate in that ministry every year and the kids really enjoy it. I asked Alayna why she should get more things than them as they might only be getting what was in the shoebox that we filled for them. She said,
"Oh don't worry. Santa will bring them lots of presents because they are poor."
"No, Santa will only bring them two. (This is the standard amount in our house not including stockings). How many presents do you need for this to be a good Christmas?"
"Oh, about 20, " was her reply.
"Really, 20? Why should you get more than the shoebox kids?"
"Well, they got about 20 presents."
"Would you be happy just to get pencils and notepads if you got 20 presents?"
"Yes," was her reponse.
Does this mean I will wrap up 20 pencils for her? No. She'll just have to be happy with what she gets and honestly, she will be having a decent Christmas, so she's just going to have to deal with it. I think most parents realize (especilaly the more kids you have) that indulging your children with everything they want, not only spoils them, but you have to find a place to put all that stuff and it really stresses me out. I am always frantically going through their rooms each year before Christmas to give as much stuff to Goodwill as possible to reduce clutter and just stuff.

No comments: