Thursday, January 31, 2008

Introspective Reflection by a Homeschooling Mom Who Never Sits

Poor Little Guy
Here I am at 3:00 in the afternoon and through some not very thrilling, but out of the ordinary circumstances, I find myself with an hour and a half of unexpected free time. What will I do with it? Blog and then read a book of course!

Avery woke up this morning with a pretty high fever. We stayed home from the gym and he played enough that I was able to get some much needed cleaning done that I had planned for the morning. By 10am he was done; poor guy. I decided to put him down for a nap and you never saw a 2 yr old more willing to get in his bed. He pulled the covers on himself before I got to it. While I felt sorry for him, it made morning school quite simple. By noon, he was up again and more pitiful than ever. This posed an interesting delimna. We run a pretty tight ship during the day and I had so much time to get lunch done, kitchen cleaned, have storytime, and put Ave down for his normally only nap, only to have 30 minutes of free time and then start afternoon school. I popped in a video until I got the kids' lunch done and then set Avery in his chair. He didn't touch his food and just sat there staring. After a few minutes of sitting, he wanted out and thus began, "I just want you to hold me."

Before I started homeschooling, I remember many times when Alton or Alayna were sick, just being content holding them and rocking them for hours. Today I realized that Avery has never had that! For one, he doesn't get really sick very often which is a blessing, but if he does, he gets plopped on the couch with a video and some green juice or EmergenC and a blanket. I go on with my schedule and he has never complained about this.

Today was different. After battling with a guilty conscience over whether or not to cancel afternoon school and all the chores I try to squeeze in between subjects, I plopped myself down in the recliner with my little boy and the family's favorite, huge, fluffy Steelers blanket and settled in for the afternoon. Thirty minutes into this and I realized that I had lost some perspective on what it is to be a Mom. Alton and Alayna were immediately all over me full of giggles as they pretended to be sick and begged to sit on my lap. Avery was not willing to share and I jokingly told them that they had had their days when they were younger and it was Avery's turn. In my mind however, a sadness crept over me as I realized....


I NEVER SIT DOWN!


I don't mean sitting down in front of the computer, or in front of the TV. I mean sitting down in the main room of your house, just for a few minutes. My kids flocked to me as Mommy was suddenly open for attention. It was some what of a horrible revelation as I watched them. Soon Alton settled onto the couch nearby with a book while Alayna realized I hadn't eaten lunch and proceeded to fix me an awesome sandwhich and a salad! As she brought me my plate, she said, "This is so nice. Alton's reading, Avery's sitting on your lap...and it's just quiet."


I'm going to look back and realize how short my time was with them and I'm going to regret that I took all that time to clean the kitchen when I could've just sat down for awhile, stopped being busy and just relished being a Mom and enjoying my children; listening to them and holding them on my lap (yes even my 8yr old son), and just being. I can't help but relate it to the state of being verbs that I've been teaching Alton about, "Mommy is." Period. End of sentence, no other verbs at the end for 15 minutes a day from now on. And get this: I'm not even going to schedule a time for it! It's just going to happen.

No comments: