Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tahini Trials

Oh the joys of attempting to swim upstream and feed my children healthy. Our culture just does not cooperate and therefore neither does my family. I am always trying new things in hopes that they will love it, and crave it, and beg for more. This rarely occurs and in fact, sometimes it is a complete disaster. Case in point, just last week, I thought it would be great if my children somehow shared my love for tahini. Admittedly, I am completely addicted to the stuff and go through about 4-6 ribs of celery a day to go with it! I really should start making my own, but as my blender is currently out of commission and I can't go without while waiting for the necessary replacement parts to arrive, it's a jar of tahini a week.

Anyway, back to the kids, so I thought I had come up with a way to get my kids to fall in love with the stuff and so I molded it into little balls and sprinkled Vege-sal on them (my replacement for salt). I was feeling very clever and as Alton was the first to walk into the kitchen, I offered him one. Apparently, it looked okay because he popped it into his mouth without question. Then my troubles began. He started making horrible faces and began drooling it out of his mouth. I was completely annoyed as he went to the kitchen sink and started spitting. Because I chalked this reponse up to over dramatics, I began a lecture about how ridiculous it was and that he should've just politely said he didn't like it. In the meantime, he was still spitting and tears were welling up in his eyes which made me close to irate. Hearing the commotion, Alayna walked in from the back porch and asked what was up. I explained, and of course Alayna wanted to try one anyway and took one back outside for Avery. In a minute or so, while I was still dealing with Alton, she came back in clutching her throat and said it was making her choke. I rolled my eyes thinking she was just saying it because of Alton's reaction. However, Avery came in the door after her smiling, only I don't know why he was because he had the worst reaction of all with tahini puke over his mouth and shirt. My creativity in the kitchen has been squelched for the time being.

Oh yeah, for those who don't know what tahini is, here is a quick lesson: It is sesame seed butter, simple as that. Sesame seeds are the absolute highest source of caclium you could possibly hope to find as long as the hulls haven't been removed. One Tbsp. contains about 35% of the daily recommended allowance. Once the hulls are removed it goes down to about 8%. Every brand of Tahini that I have found at health food stores, have had the seeds hulled. That's why it is best to make your own. Also a very high source of protein of course.

No comments: