Monday, January 21, 2008

Amusing Quotes and not so Amusing Arguements from the Day

There have been many things over the last couple of days that my children have done that were not amusing. I don't know if I can blame it on the snow or what, but they have been at each others throats on more than one occasion lately. This coming from kids that usually get along really well, and so I have no patience for this "phase." With the fighting though, there has also been an unusual amount of funny conversations and comments. The first of which I'll share is Alayna after having gotten into it with Avery who is just learning to disagree with her.

Me: Alayna, remember he is just learning about sharing, you have to be patient.
Alayna: Mom, you don't understand. Avery has grown up into a big kid that cannot handle his problems.

When asked if she was able to handle her problems at age two she responded, "Yes! Yes I could!"

When we got home from the store the other day and the kids were putting away the groceries, Alton came across the organic cookies which I buy sometimes. Rob often helps himself to more than the allotted portion of these which leads to great protest from Alton and Alayna. They are not buying the excuse that worked for so many years, that "Daddy has a bigger body." Anyway while unpacking them Alton said to Alayna, "We've got to make sure Dad doesn't see these." I scolded and said, "Alton we need to share them with everyone." Alton replied, "Yeah, and you know how Dad shares...with himself." I had to laugh.

Lastly, the biggest fight of the day between Alton and Alayna was very dramatic with both of them crying and stomping around. This is not unusual behavior for Alayna, but when Alton does it, you know he has been offended. It seems that Alayna told Alton that he cares more about his comics than he does about her. Alton some how interpreted this to mean that Alayna thinks his comics are stupid. For those that aren't aware, Alton is determined to be a comic strip writer. He has been writing them from before he learned how to write words and could only print letters. He would just ask us how to spell things. Once, I asked him if he ever got tired of writing comics and he told me, "Mom, it's kind of like my kid job." So whatever it truly was that Alayna said to him today to shame him for not playing with her, it upset him.

As I tried to moderate their argument with both of them crying Alton said, "Alayna thinks my comics are stupid and she doesn't understand it's my job!" Alayna said, "Well, Alton never plays with me he's always doing comics." Granted, our schedules are a little tight with school and chores. There really isn't a whole lot of free time during the weekdays, so I honestly haven't found a good solution for them both to be happy. We used the rest of Science time praying together in the homeschool room that they would get along better and work on putting each other before themselves. As far as I know there weren't any more fights for the rest of the day. I'm not sure about the evening because despite Rob's paper deadline tomorrow at 5pm, I was able to sneak out to a night of much needed Bunko with my military spouse friends.

No comments: