Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Start off the New Year Running!


The moment that 2008 began, there was not a whole lot going on at our house. The kids were fast asleep despite Alton's notion to try and ring in the New Year with us. Rob and I were watching a movie and didn't notice it had past until about 7 minutes after. That's how exciting we are.

Today however, we dropped our kids off at some friends and went on a date of sorts to run a New Years Day 5K. I had planned to meet a couple of my friends from the track club, there's Connie that fits my pace exactly, and Kate who I don't even plan to see once the race starts. She ran a 7 minute mile today and was the 5th woman in, not quite my league. Connie and I ended up doing a 10 minute mile which broke records for us. My shoe came untied at the first half mile, but I didn't dare stop. Rob and a school friend were somewhere behind Kate and ahead of us. It was a fun day and I have that much more experience before my 10 Miler in March. There are two more 5K's and an 8K before the big race, so Rob and I plan to hit those as well.

If anyone out there is saying, "I could never do that," just remember that I didn't run my first race until I was 32 and there are people a lot older than me that get started. My friend Connie was a lifetime smoker until she decided she wanted to be a runner. She decided to quit at age 42 and start her running hobby. She is doing great too. We keep each other encouraged.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of your accomplishment. You didn't get your athletic ability from me.