Monday, February 25, 2008

A Mom Without a Comeback!

It's a horrible feeling really. As a Mom, you're supposed to have an answer for everything (at least my Mom always did whether her answer was right or not). Full of wisdom, advice, and the last word, your children look up to you and think you're amazing. That is how I remember viewing my Mom in the early years and so perhaps that is why I am somewhat flummoxed when I don't have an answer or a timely quip to defend my position on something.

I've always been very skilled at arguing. Maybe I am out of practice because my husband just doesn't participate. At any rate, a week hardly goes by that my mind is not scrambling for the perfect response to something Alton or Alayna say. Usually it is with Alayna who is always keeping Rob and I on our toes. She can quote us verbatim on anything we've said and will always remind us if we have not made good on our word. We expect to be on the defensive with her.

With Alton, I'm caught off guard more easily. He's very obedient and sensitive, rarely talks back, and is just compliant. He is basically Rob. This morning's conversation once again caught me off guard and left me with absolutely no good response.

Me: "Alton, your room used to always be cleaner than Alayna's. Lately though, she's been keeping her room much cleaner than yours." (Okay, I realize this breaks the whole not pitting your kids against each other rule. Don't worry, Alton took me to task).

Alton: "I mean, who cares Mom? It's not like it's a contest."

I stood there for a minute outside the bathroom door where he was cleaning the sink. Nope, I really can't think of anything to say to that, and walked back down the stairs in deep thought.

No comments: