Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Compete in 10 mile race...Check!

Okay, so I did it! I actually ran the whole 10 miles, minus walking for four seconds to actually drink some of the water in those cups that they hand you. I got really good at grabbing them from outstretched hands while running, but the drinking part, well, I almost choked twice and more traveled up my nose than down my throat, thus the walking part, I was thirsty!

I would love to brag and say "It was a pleasant run" which is what naughty Rob said having finished long before me even though he can't remember ever having run ten miles before. I kept expecting to see him lying in a stretcher somewhere along the trail, but no, he ran and ran well. He had a running partner from school show up at the last minute and the two of them seemed to have a lot of fun.

About 10 of my running buddies were in the race. Five of them, I didn't expect to see once the gun went off. The other six of us ran together for the first five miles which was fun. Then two pulled ahead. At mile 8 two pulled behind my running partner Deb and I. We stuck together through the whole race which we had planned to do.

I am very relieved to have it done, and will now quit running for the remainder of this pregnancy. That should give me enough time to forget that running 10 miles in a race atmosphere, was not exactly pleasureable. By then, I should only remember my sense of accomplishment and the fact that I'd really like to do it again and run under (well under) a 10 minute mile!

More on the weekend to come!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Congrats on your accomplishment!! That is great!! Also congrats on your pregnancy!! Have fun in Okla!!