Tuesday, May 6, 2008

You Want Me to Do What?


That was my first response when Rob told me that we would be packing up ourselves for this next move. We leave in less than 30 days and I'm ready to go, but asking a military spouse to pack her own boxes when she's always had it done for her, is a bit of a stretch. I mean, the packers are one of the reasons you stay sane through these moves. It's bad enough to have UN-pack all your boxes every two years or so, much less pack them!


Once I calmed down, I realize that there will be some definite benefit to doing a lot of the packing ourselves. The military will pay us 95% what they would pay a moving company. They save five percent and we can't file a claim on anything we break. We make a lot of money in return for our efforts.
Right now it's not bothering me. I do about 3 or 4 boxes a day, which so far, are mostly books. That is one area I have trouble downsizing. Every move, I get grossed out about having stuff. It's great, because we are always getting rid of things and it seems to make life simpler. I also find myself not buying things because I think, "I don't want that to take up space in my house."
Having to pack things up myself, I'm sure I'll be even more careful about what gets put in those boxes and moved.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Oh my girl!! I hate moving!! Looks like you have a good start though....hang in there : )