Friday, June 13, 2008

Too Much Action

It seems before I could go for weeks with nothing interesting to write about at our last duty station. Life, while pleasant there, was also hum drum and boring.

If the last couple of weeks are any indication of what it will be like living at our new duty station, then I guess we'd better buckle our seatbelts. The problem is, if you have so much to write about, then well, there's usually not time.

Here's the outline version of our lives right now.

1) We are till moving in! This has been the most gradual moving experience I've ever gone through. My advice: if your going to move, move far away from where you were. Living just two hours away means your husband keeps going back to the old home to pack more and more things himself because after all, the military will pay us by the pound. This results in less getting done sooner at the new place. We actually still have to go back there to clean the inside and do the lawn!

2) Avery in the hospital. Wow, there is nothing that sucks the life out of me more than to have a sick child. Avery spiked a fever that I knew within 24 hours was out of my natural healing league. Took him to ER as we had no doctor yet. Within 60 secs he was diagnosed with an ear infection and pushed out with antibiotic #1, all the while my heart was telling me, this is no ear infection. Three days later, nothing is better and the fever which stays at 104 despite doing Tylenol and Motrin around the clock (a big no no in my book normally) is like a wild fire out of control. Back to ER. Immediately admitted, put on antibiotic #2, given chest x-rays, and blood work. When the doctor that diagnosed him with an ear infection came on shift and ordered a cat scan, I balked. I didn't trust this guy at all and a cat scan is x-ray X 10. I felt as though my poor boy's health was being permanently destroyed. Turns out shady doctor was right. Avery had an abscess in his throat; a serious thing with a 50% mortality rate. Antibiotic #3 is started and talks of surgery begin. The ENT is ready to do surgery, but Avery has to be transferred to a children's hospital that has an ICU. That hospital had their own ENT and so surgery talks were delayed. After a ride in an ambulance, we get set up in the new hospital. Thankfully, the ENT does not want to do surgery right away. He wants to see how Avery responds to the antibiotics. Antibiotic #4 is begun. There is a lot more I could relate, but suddenly, this is more than an outline. Sorry.

3) Rob leaves to take care of his Dad who is not expected to live much longer. There are many family dynamics that are stressing him.

4) The good news. We love our library! We absolutely love our brand new organic grocery store that is only 4 miles away, completely huge, and has lower prices than Whole Foods. It just opened Saturday and I know God had that store put there just for me. I am certain that I am the only military wife to get emotional as she walked into a grocery store that was perfectly suited to her. It must be the pregnancy hormones! We love our house. So much work to be done even though it's new, but I don't feel in a hurry. Fixing it up is the fun part of owning your own home.

Phew! I'm going to go watch some Tivo'd "So You Think You can Dance."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Traci, so sorry about all of the drama in your life! You are so strong in the Lord's faith and I know you will continue your positive outlook on life as always! You are very inspiring. Wish we had your grociery store! I am jealous. Started Austin on some stuff called glyconutrients. Doing absolute wonders!
Love ya,
Becca