Thursday, July 10, 2008

The End of "Black Market" Homeschooling


We had a homeschool first this week: I actually had Alton take a standardized test yesterday! He took the CAT which is the simplest of the one's approved for assessment in our state. Believe me, I didn't do it because I was worried about his progress. In my mind, if he's keeping up with the grade level cirriculum I use, then he's doing fine. On some subjects, he's even ahead a year.


No, I had Alton tested, because it is required in this state every year. When we were in Colorado, you only had to test every 3rd year. We moved the 3rd year and I didn't test. I was a good girl however and reported to the school system that I was homeschooling. Moving to our current state, I did not report or do the necessary testing because I figured we'd only be in that state one year. Who knew that when we PCS'd we'd still be in this state! Now I'm in a little pickle as they are probably going to want to account for last year. Rob's tongue in cheek advice was to just not report while we're here at all and continue with my "Black Market Homeschooling."


So, I'm complying even though I think it's none of their business. Oh to homeschool in Texas. That lovely state where homeschoolers can do whatever they want and are accountable to no one. Anyway, Alton did great on the test. Now all I have to do is turn in the results, my intent to homeschool form, along with a copy of my diploma for graduating college (you have to have a college degree here to homeschool). Little do they know that despite my degree, I am still learning more about history and math than I ever remember doing when I was in school!


No comments: