Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Preparation Week

We've now ended three weeks of unstructured, unscheduled, flying by the seat of our pants while ignoring all cirriculum with the exception of History (who can ignore History?), and while it's been a nice change of pace and perhaps a necessary bit of chaos mixed with boredom and bickering, the kids and I are about ready to dive back into life the way we're used to doing things. The official schedule is almost complete minus the fact that I left out time to actually eat breakfast this year and that won't work as no one in our family can fathom skipping a meal. Next to do are the chorepacks, setting up new notebooks, finish reorganizing the home education room, and probably 30 other things I forgot about but will have to tackle once the educating process has begun.

Alton is particularly excited about this year because I am switching him from Saxon Math to Teaching Textbooks. I love Saxon and had a hard time with the decision, but 9 months of frustration and we both knew things had to change. Teaching textbooks is mostly done on the computer and has less busy work. Those of you who have done Saxon know how overwhelming all the work can be even if you pare it down a little. I'll keep everyone else doing Saxon until they reach 5th grade then reevaluate.

I mentioned this last year, but want to post again for those that didn't see it. We us "Managers of Their Homes" for our scheduling format and chore packs. I honestly don't know how it would work with four if I had not come across this. www.titus2.com

6 comments:

Kathy said...

It's good to see you blogging some again. I don't know how you do it all with four kids and homeschooling and feeding everyone naturally. I really admire you. Wish you and your family could have been with us over here for Jack & Lana's birthday. I had so much fun watching the cousins with each other. Amy's kids are great and loved my back yard.

Anonymous said...

I went over and checked out this book you mentioned and I think I'm going to have to buy it. It's really what I need. Thanks for sharing it. I do remember you mentioning it once before, but I didn't really check into it until now.

Beth from high school.....

A.C.A. said...

Kathy- It would've been fun to have all the cousins running around in the backyard together. sorry we missed it.

Beth- Miss you on FB! I don't know where you are blogging at now. Help!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A.C.A. said...

Yes, my husband listened to that too! Actually very helpful because he will understand the importance of what you are trying to accomplish. Thanks for your bloglink!

jeans ed hardy said...

You have done an excellent job of research and writing.