Sunday, March 29, 2009

This Whirlwind Called Life

Another day past at the speed of light and it still seems as though not much was accomplished. This unfortunately is not due to the fact that I was diligently keeping the sabbath holy, resting and meditating on heavenly things. I was in motion all day playing catch up on a million things. Okay, there was the 10 minutes I tried to steal away to nap on the couch with Aubin's vocal complaints about sitting on his Daddy's lap to watch basketball swirling loudly around my head. After about 7 minutes, I gave that up and scooped him up to give him the quality time he was requesting.

Life here is well, different. It's more different than any other place we've lived. The culture here is so fast paced, political, and somewhat isolated as no one has time to really connect with their fellow man. Rob and I both feel like God brought us here, but we often wonder why. Quite honestly, Rob is miserable in his job and has close to no freetime to recouperate after the long weeks work. My sentiment is not one of misery, but more of frustration as I never end a day without feeling I left way too much undone. Each day in turn, seems as if I'm winging it and that lack of organization leaves me frazzled.

Regretfully, I realized how quickly I have become "one of them;" rushing around without a thought or care about the other people buzzing around me. The only way this was brought to my attention was when I went to Joann Fabrics to buy supplies to make curtains. After an hour of wandering aimlessly and indecisively, I scrapped the curtains for the day and decided on making a dress for Alayna. I recently bought a sewing machine and am itching to use it. Anyway, ready to have my material cut, I noticed that the procedure was to take a number and wait until it was called. I did and out popped number 46. At that moment, they called number 35. Ugh! I looked around and noticed three women working the cutting tables and eased up a little until after standing there for 10 minutes and realizing what was going on!

Here we are in a busy, upwardly mobile, rush around city where nobody bothers with anyone and at Joann Fabrics nobody seemed to know it. The ladies working the table took they're time and were talking with the customers who amicably chatted back. They even stopped cutting to continue their conversations and use hand gestures! One lady spent probably 15 minutes with her customer trying to help her find the perfect material for whatever she was making. I was seriously annoyed. Then it dawned on me how ridiculous that was. I realized how quickly I had disposed of my southern upbringing and gone right along with the flow of silly pursuit of I'm not sure what. Now mind you, I did have my reasons for being in a hurry such as getting home to nurse a baby and not leaving my children for too long at the home of my generous friend who offered to watch them for a spell while I slipped away. Still, however, it gave me pause.

I think to sum it up, God never intended for us to lay around relaxing all the time. He wants us busy. It's what we're busy at that matters and putting THAT into perspective is the challenge; one I'll be working on.

No comments: